HOW TO GET A CALIFORNIA ID CARD
For more details on how to get a California ID card, please see below.
Apply for an ID Card in California
You can apply for a California identification card at any age.
The California DMV issues the following identification cards:
• Regular ID card.
• Senior citizen ID card for residents over 62 years old.
To apply for an ID card you must visit a California Department of Motor Vehicles(DMV) office in
• Complete a Driver’s License or Identification Card Application (Form DL 44). This form is not
available online as it requires your original signature.
• Give your thumbprint.
• Have your picture taken.
If you wish to complete the application form before your visit to the CA DMV, you can call the DMV
automated telephone system at (800) 777-0133 to have the form mailed to you.
You will also need:
• Social Security number. If you are ineligible for an SSN but are legally present in the U.S., you can
still apply for a CA ID card.
• Original or certified copy of a document proving your date of birth or legal presence, such as your:
– CA driver’s license.
• An original or certified copy of a document proving your name if you’ve had a name change, such as
– Marriage certificate.
-Name change document showing both your original and new name.
2 documents proving your California residency, which could include:- Home utility bills.
– Title or deed to your residence/property.
-Pay stub from your employer.
For a complete list of acceptable documents, visit the CA DMV website.
What if the survival of your loved one depended on an organ transplant?
hundreds more. Signing up is simple and FREE.
California ID Card Fees
It will cost you $29
This ID Card is valid for 6 years.
There is no cost:
• For a senior citizen card if you’re 62 years old or older. This card is valid for 10 years.
• Change your address.